The OOC answer is obvious: this is a story about the PCs, and it's cooler to have the PCs save the world. But I'm making a mental inventory of possible reasons why these PCs (who are not yet the most powerful heroes in the land) might end up saving the world:
- The PCs are the only ones who realize the world needs saving.
- The PCs have special knowledge that no one else has.
- The PCs are in the right place at the right time, and have the opportunity to change the course of events.
- The PCs have a special item that is seems minor but becomes important.
- Ditto, but with a special ability or quality.
- The most powerful folks are engaged in direct action, while the PCs get sent on an indirect errand that swings the whole course of events.
- The most powerful folks all get killed.
- The PCs are considered more expendable than the more powerful folks.
- The more powerful folks are frauds who are not so powerful after all.
Hmm, that's only nine, and I figured that I could get up to a dozen at least. What am I missing?