Check out Paul's pictures. The list of credits:
- Lori carved the traditional triangle-eyes and jagged smile.
- Paul carved the odd eye-ball thing.
- Hope carved the cute baby pumpkin.
- I carved the ghost-and-campfire pumpkin (working from a pattern).
- Dave carved the excellent looming bat, without using a pattern AFAIK.
Pumpkin-carving tools have really improved since I was a kid. You can get much better and safer tools than a paring knife, for dirt cheap.
A brief internet search for pumpkin-carving patterns turned up http://carvingpumpkins.com, which displays some really amazing carved pumpkins.