It started when I realized that the Gladiator's Dragonhide Shoulders (now available as normal pvp rewards, not just arena rewards) were much better for tanking than any shoulders I could get in Karazhan. (The Tier 4 shoulderpads are better, but I won't get those until we can handle Gruul's Lair.)
Now that I've gotten the shoulders, I don't really have any strong gear incentives to pvp. But I've managed to get over the hump of "I'm too inept to enjoy pvp" (no doubt improved by raid gear), and I'm enjoying it enough to do a battleground or two most days.
It's far from clear what I want to spend my honor on now. There are few rewards that upgrade my tankiness over a dedicated tanking set, and few rewards that upgrade my DPS. It's more likely that the rewards are just about as tanky as my current tank gear, but offer DPS that's 90% as good as my current DPS gear. (Such gear is actually a good thing for my raiding, because it makes it much easier for me to switch between tank and DPS roles in raiding and PvP. And even though I don't worry about how much DPS I can do when I'm tanking, doing more DPS does allow me to hold aggro better.)
- The Gladiator's Dragonhide Helm would be a medium upgrade in tanking or in DPS depending how I customized it, and it would be a DPS upgrade to my tank gear. but it would be superseded by the tier 4 helmet--and it's not out of the question that we could get that in a while.
- The Gladiator's Dragonhide Tunic would be a slight tanking upgrade, and a big DPS upgrade to my tank gear. But it would be superseded by the Vestments of Hibernation--and I'm getting in sight of having enough badges to buy those.
- The Vindicator's Dragonhide Bracers would be a DPS upgrade, and not too bad a tank downgrade.
- The Vindicator's Dragonhide Belt would be a slight DPS upgrade, and probably neutral for tanking.
- The Gladiator's Dragonhide Legguards would be a slight DPS upgrade and a major DPS upgrade to my tank gear. But it would be superseded by the Forestwalker Kilt, which I hope will drop from heroic Mana-Tombs.
- The Vindicator's Dragonhide boots would be a minor tanking upgrade, and a slight DPS upgrade to tank gear. It would be superseded by the Footwraps of Wild Encroachment, which are a great many badges away.
The two things that attract me most are the legguards and the tunic--but those are also the easiest things for me to supersede.
The only reason it matters is that I might not have enough marks from certain battlegrounds to achieve my goals. But I can just spread my attention around and save up honor and marks until things become clearer.